The grids are programmed with p5.js and analyse different input images. Each image is dissected into its color constituents and reimagined as pixels on a checkerboard layout. Finally the puzzle pieces are combined into a single concrete grid.
At the same time the grid listens and reacts to user input. The cursor movement determines the amount of columns and rows. This experiment provides an interactive web environment to explore and create concrete compositions on the fly.2023
- Art is universal.
- A work of art must be entirely conceived and shaped by the mind before its execution. It shall not receive anything of nature’s or sensuality’s or sentimentality’s formal data. We want to exclude lyricism, drama, symbolism, and so on.
- The painting must be entirely built up with purely plastic elements, namely surfaces and colors. A pictorial element does not have any meaning beyond "itself"; as a consequence, a painting does not have any meaning other than "itself".
- The construction of a painting, as well as that of its elements, must be simple and visually controllable.
- The painting technique must be mechanic, i.e., exact, anti-impressionistic.
- An effort toward absolute clarity is mandatory.
Carl Krasberg in his studio picking color cards. Photo: Claudia Krasberg. Source
2015, Carl Krasberg. Source